September 2020 S M T W T F S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
- Extra Extra: Mysterious Gas On Venus Might Be Signs Of Life
- NYC Contracting Nurses To Fill School Vacancies, But COVID Chaos Persists
- Coronavirus Updates: 42% Of Public School Families Have Now Signed Up For Online Learning Only
- MTA And NYPD Begin Crackdown On Maskless Subway Riders
- Video: Former Governor David Paterson Performs With Dan Smith, Who Is Teaching Him Guitar
- Photos: The "New" Chelsea Flea Market Has Opened
- Coronavirus Statistics: Tracking The Epidemic In New York
- Trump Health Aide Pushes Bizarre Conspiracies and Warns of Armed Revolt
- Wildfires Are Reaching Once Tranquil Places on the West Coast
- Trump Defends Indoor Rally Amid Covid, but Aides Express Concern
- Steven Cohen to Buy the Mets, Again
- Officer in Texas Is Indicted in 2019 Fatal Shooting of Pamela Turner
- Bill Gates on Coronavirus, Vaccines and Global Health
- Covid-19 News: Live Updates
Category Archives: Plugins
I wrote a plugin for MT called MTYahoomaps. After a little research, looks like Avi Alkalay made a Google maps plugin for WordPress. The implementation is very straight forward and well documented. I should have a lot of fun playing with it and checking out the PHP code.
Music I’m listening to right Now:
“Goodnight Goodnight” Maroon 5 from the “It Won’t Be Soon Before Long” Album.
After Updating the DB via the command line (NOT a fan of a GUI update!) and following my own instructions on how to install my own plugin, So far so good.
After I'm happy with my Test Server results, I'll document each step I took. Each One Note: rebuild seems to take longer than the 3.2 version, but it might be just my perception as I'm not really timing it.
Image from my Poor Editing of a "Built for Movable Type 3.2" banner…
Music I'm listening to right Now:
"Over My Head (Cable Car)" by The Fray from the "How to Save a Life" Album.
Update: Got my first "HTTP Error 500 – Internal server error"! This is reassuring since I'm running a server with less than the recommended Hardware specs. Everything looks ok, probably took too long for the Web servers liking. You can see the test server here.
Took a look at the Yahoo Maps API Flash Docs and discovered that they updated the API to version 3. Seems to be a little more stable, so I’m adding some functionality to the MTYahooMaps Plugin I wrote. I’ve added a “mapsathyb” keyword that will take “map”, “sat” or “hyb” as Parameters.
Update: Got the bugs out and it seems to work well in the Flash version. Need to clean the code a little and figure out how to add a recenter button.
Another Update: Fixing the AJAX version. Also Switched to Yahoo Geocoder. Above is the Flash version and below, AJAX.
Yet Another Update: Just a comment really; I haven’t looked at the code in a long time. Even though I Commented it, it still took me a little to figure out Why I did somethings in the Perl Code…
You can get the Updated program here.
Music I'm listening to right Now:
"All Eyes on Me" by Goo Goo Dols from the "Dizzy Up the Girl" Album.
Every now and again I visit Arvind Satyanarayan's blog just to see what latest goodies he has come up with. After using EnhancedEntryEditing and SCode, He now has LivePreview. You can read about it here .
The long and short of it: It allows you to preview the Entry Prior to publishing. This saves a lot of time and effort. Like his other plugins, fairly straight forward to set up.
Music I'm listening to now:
"Wisemen" by Jame Blunt from his "Back to Bedlam " album.
After seeing plenty of Downloads of my MTYahooMaps Moveable Type plugin, I received my first Email asking for help making it work. (They left out a step. Note to self: make Documentation more readable…)
I write programs for purely selfish reasons: I like writing something and seeing it work as intended, preferably doing something interesting. I do it as a professional and as a hobby. When someone else can use something I’ve done, I get satisfaction that it’s useful to other people.
The MTYahooMaps plugin isn’t a terribly complicated program and I wrote it using MTGoogleMaps by Nick Punter as inspiration. Yahoo Maps isn’t quite as ready for Prime Time as Google Maps is, but it’s a start. I’m hoping that Yahoo Maps will become more functional as time goes by (It’s still Beta, after all)
If I write another plugin, It will be for my satisfaction, but I hope other people find it useful.
After much trial and Error, I'm just about ready to release the MTYahooMaps Movable Type Plugin.
It works in a similar way that MTGoogleMap by Nick Punter does (in fact this was originally based on MTGoogleMaps). A container tag called "MTYahooMaps" is created that accepts the following Parameters:
- address = Postal Address i.e. "499 Park Avenue, NY, NY, 10022", Required
- lat = Latitude i.e. "40.762979"
- log = Longitude i.e. "-73.969966"
- info = Informational Text (No HTML) i.e. "Corner of 69th and Park Ave."
- zoom = Numeric Zoom Level i.e. "3" (Defaults to "2")
- width = Width of Map in your Post. Numeric and in Pixels i.e. "540"
- height = Height of Map in your Post. Numeric and in Pixels i.e. "300"
- align = Alignment of your map in your Post. i.e. "left","center", "right" (Defaults to Center)
- maptype = AJAX or Flash. (Defaults to AJAX)
- mapsathyb = map, sat, or hyb (Defaults to map)
address="11 Madison avenue,NY, NY, 10010"
info="A Nice Place"
String this out with no Carriage returns. My Advice, try resolving addresses at http://maps.yahoo.com/ and get the ZIPCODE.
If you use lat and log, address will not be used to resolve the coordinates, but is still required.
Update: Now Handles multiple Markers
Update: Now uses Yahoo Geocoder, uses MAP, SATELITE, or HYBRID and the FLASH version works better too. It will also convert "|" to "<BR>" when put in the info and address parameters.