As other people have pointed out “The Military Commissions Act” passed by Congress is dangerous as it has no clear definition of what defines an “Enemy combatant”. Keith Olbermann does a fine job of explaining why this is such a badly written law and points out that it is whittling away at the Bill of Rights. He also does a great job of once again demonstrating what a complete hypocrite President George W. Bush is. This is such a “hot” issue, that he can’t schedule a time to sign it? Riiiiight… BTW, while Keith Olbermann is being sarcastic (loved the “Why Does Habeas Corpus Hate America?“), people should realize this: If something can be abused it will be. The founding fathers of the United States did NOT trust Government, which is why the codified the bill of rights. Even if the current president doesn’t abuse this (Wow, What Are the Odds?), it doesn’t mean others won’t. This is not a “partisan” issue, it’s potentially a Constitutional one.It used to be that you could depend on the Supreme Court to strike down laws like this one since it smacks in the face of the Constitution (i.e. Attempted murder of Habeas Corpus) but with this line up, who knows?
Music I’m listening to right Now:
“Crazy” by Seal from his “Seal” Album (1991). It seemed appropriate.
- Coronavirus Statistics: Tracking The Epidemic In New York
- Day Camps Offer Test Run For NYC Parents Still Weighing Whether To Send Kids Back To School
- Coronavirus Updates: Cuomo Calls Trump's Unemployment Relief Order "Laughable" And "Impossible"
- With Weekly $600 Pandemic Assistance Gone, Many Out-Of-Work NYers Are “Back To Square One”
- 20K Con Ed Customers Still Don't Have Power In NYC—With More Than Half In Queens
- With The $600 Weekly Federal Assistance Gone, Here Are Some Resources For Unemployed New Yorkers In Need
- Enjoy $1 treats from your favorite NYC restaurants with DoorDash!
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Latest News and Analysis
- Earthquake in North Carolina Is Strongest in the Area Since 1916
- Macron Urges World Leaders to Speed Aid to Lebanon After Explosions
- Shooting in Washington, D.C., Leaves 1 Dead and 20 Wounded
- Israel Will Be Perfectly Happy With President Biden
- It’s a Tough Time for the Left. But I’m More Optimistic Than Ever.
- ‘Christianity Will Have Power’