As other people have pointed out “The Military Commissions Act” passed by Congress is dangerous as it has no clear definition of what defines an “Enemy combatant”. Keith Olbermann does a fine job of explaining why this is such a badly written law and points out that it is whittling away at the Bill of Rights. He also does a great job of once again demonstrating what a complete hypocrite President George W. Bush is. This is such a “hot” issue, that he can’t schedule a time to sign it? Riiiiight… BTW, while Keith Olbermann is being sarcastic (loved the “Why Does Habeas Corpus Hate America?“), people should realize this: If something can be abused it will be. The founding fathers of the United States did NOT trust Government, which is why the codified the bill of rights. Even if the current president doesn’t abuse this (Wow, What Are the Odds?), it doesn’t mean others won’t. This is not a “partisan” issue, it’s potentially a Constitutional one.It used to be that you could depend on the Supreme Court to strike down laws like this one since it smacks in the face of the Constitution (i.e. Attempted murder of Habeas Corpus) but with this line up, who knows?
Music I’m listening to right Now:
“Crazy” by Seal from his “Seal” Album (1991). It seemed appropriate.
- Pro-Palestinian protesters block Manhattan Bridge
- Cyclists have same rights as drivers when stopped by police, NY appeals court rules
- In wake of NJ elections, expect more fights over revealing trans kids’ identities
- Residents say notorious Manhattan park still neglected despite murders, drug use
- Zines are back: Brooklyn Museum exhibit looks at decades of artistry
- New York Public Library facing steep graffiti cleanup costs after protests
- Will a big office Christmas tree get you back? NYC’s professional decorators hope so.
- Battle for Influence Rages in Heart of Wagner’s Operations in Africa
- Shooting of 3 Palestinian Men in Vermont Investigated as Possible Hate Crime
- As Hamas Releases More Hostages, Longer Cease-Fire Appears Possible
- Ukrainian Attack Cuts Power to Some Russian-Occupied Areas
- After 4-Year-Old American Girl Is Freed by Hamas, Her Family Breathes Sigh of Relief
- Paul Lynch Wins Booker Prize for ‘Prophet Song’
- Here’s What We Know About the Israeli Hostages Released on Sunday