As other people have pointed out “The Military Commissions Act” passed by Congress is dangerous as it has no clear definition of what defines an “Enemy combatant”. Keith Olbermann does a fine job of explaining why this is such a badly written law and points out that it is whittling away at the Bill of Rights. He also does a great job of once again demonstrating what a complete hypocrite President George W. Bush is. This is such a “hot” issue, that he can’t schedule a time to sign it? Riiiiight… BTW, while Keith Olbermann is being sarcastic (loved the “Why Does Habeas Corpus Hate America?“), people should realize this: If something can be abused it will be. The founding fathers of the United States did NOT trust Government, which is why the codified the bill of rights. Even if the current president doesn’t abuse this (Wow, What Are the Odds?), it doesn’t mean others won’t. This is not a “partisan” issue, it’s potentially a Constitutional one.It used to be that you could depend on the Supreme Court to strike down laws like this one since it smacks in the face of the Constitution (i.e. Attempted murder of Habeas Corpus) but with this line up, who knows?
Music I’m listening to right Now:
“Crazy” by Seal from his “Seal” Album (1991). It seemed appropriate.
- NJ state trooper who shot and killed Black man won’t face charges
- Rikers federal monitor issues cautiously optimistic outlook for reform
- ‘We took a lot of notes’: Mayor Adams makes last-minute push for city priorities in Albany
- Police offering $10K reward for help finding suspects in Monday's Bronx shooting that killed 11-year-old girl
- With bomba and La Fonda, El Barrio remembers photographer Hiram Maristany
- Flanked by NY leaders, president condemns Buffalo mass shooting
- Extra Extra: NYC's median rent is twice as much as what the median-income household can afford
- Justice Dept. Is Said to Request Transcripts From Jan. 6 Committee
- The Buffalo Shooting and the Danger of White Replacement Theory
- U.S. Accuses Steve Wynn of Lobbying Trump on Behalf of China
- U.S. Gun Production Triples Since 2000, Fueled by Handgun Purchases
- Japan’s Economy Shrank 1 Percent as Consumers Fled Covid
- Biden Heads to Buffalo to Mourn Shooting Victims
- Before the Buffalo Shooting Began, Suspect Invited Others to Review Plans on Discord.