As other people have pointed out “The Military Commissions Act” passed by Congress is dangerous as it has no clear definition of what defines an “Enemy combatant”. Keith Olbermann does a fine job of explaining why this is such a badly written law and points out that it is whittling away at the Bill of Rights. He also does a great job of once again demonstrating what a complete hypocrite President George W. Bush is. This is such a “hot” issue, that he can’t schedule a time to sign it? Riiiiight… BTW, while Keith Olbermann is being sarcastic (loved the “Why Does Habeas Corpus Hate America?“), people should realize this: If something can be abused it will be. The founding fathers of the United States did NOT trust Government, which is why the codified the bill of rights. Even if the current president doesn’t abuse this (Wow, What Are the Odds?), it doesn’t mean others won’t. This is not a “partisan” issue, it’s potentially a Constitutional one.It used to be that you could depend on the Supreme Court to strike down laws like this one since it smacks in the face of the Constitution (i.e. Attempted murder of Habeas Corpus) but with this line up, who knows?
Music I’m listening to right Now:
“Crazy” by Seal from his “Seal” Album (1991). It seemed appropriate.
- Fire breaks out at Battery Maritime Building in Lower Manhattan
- Woman dies in Queens hit-and-run incident on Saturday morning
- Rapes are up in New York City. Training on how to treat victims, way down.
- Weekend arts planner: Radiolab for Kids, 'Slauson Malone 1,' 'A Raisin in the Sun'
- Lab behind botched water tests at Jacob Riis Houses not authorized to perform work in NY, public housing officials say
- Female, Black, Asian, and Latino city workers are earning less than white and male workers: City Council
- Extra Extra: Your umbrella should block the rain without blocking everyone else from walking
- Puerto Ricans Fear Extended Blackout After Hurricane Fiona
- Why Iranians Are Protesting Once Again
- Fiona Hits Parts of Canada With Flooding, Power Failures and Destruction
- LinkedIn Ran Social Experiments on 20 Million Users Over Five Years
- Since You’ve Been Gone: What’s Next for the Royal Corgis?
- In Washington State, the Midterm Race Between Joe Kent and Marie Gluesenkamp Perez Has It All
- What Putin’s Nuclear Threat Means for Ukraine and the U.S.