As other people have pointed out “The Military Commissions Act” passed by Congress is dangerous as it has no clear definition of what defines an “Enemy combatant”. Keith Olbermann does a fine job of explaining why this is such a badly written law and points out that it is whittling away at the Bill of Rights. He also does a great job of once again demonstrating what a complete hypocrite President George W. Bush is. This is such a “hot” issue, that he can’t schedule a time to sign it? Riiiiight… BTW, while Keith Olbermann is being sarcastic (loved the “Why Does Habeas Corpus Hate America?“), people should realize this: If something can be abused it will be. The founding fathers of the United States did NOT trust Government, which is why the codified the bill of rights. Even if the current president doesn’t abuse this (Wow, What Are the Odds?), it doesn’t mean others won’t. This is not a “partisan” issue, it’s potentially a Constitutional one.It used to be that you could depend on the Supreme Court to strike down laws like this one since it smacks in the face of the Constitution (i.e. Attempted murder of Habeas Corpus) but with this line up, who knows?
Music I’m listening to right Now:
“Crazy” by Seal from his “Seal” Album (1991). It seemed appropriate.
- Adams administration thumbs nose at Rikers oversight team about jail deaths and violence, says federal monitor
- NYPD asks New Yorkers to report unsolved killings of LGBTQ people
- 'My eyes burned': Essential workers toil in smoke-filled air across tristate area despite warnings
- Most NJ schools stay open, even as state warns bad air a threat to kids’ health
- NYC air quality got you down? Here's how to make a homemade air cleaner.
- Mandatory composting coming soon to New York City
- NYC hospitals saw twice as many asthma ER visits as bad air blanketed city
NY Times Feed
- Trump Turns to a Familiar Playbook in Effort to Undermine Documents Inquiry
- Orange Skies, Red Alerts and the Future
- Where the GOP Presidential Candidates Stand on Climate Change
- After a Rocky Year, Zuckerberg Lays Out Meta’s Road Map to Employees
- Could Democrats Get Another Shot at Redistricting in New York?
- Pat Robertson, Who Gave Christian Conservatives Clout, Is Dead at 93
- Oklahoma Breaches the Wall Between Church and State