As other people have pointed out “The Military Commissions Act” passed by Congress is dangerous as it has no clear definition of what defines an “Enemy combatant”. Keith Olbermann does a fine job of explaining why this is such a badly written law and points out that it is whittling away at the Bill of Rights. He also does a great job of once again demonstrating what a complete hypocrite President George W. Bush is. This is such a “hot” issue, that he can’t schedule a time to sign it? Riiiiight… BTW, while Keith Olbermann is being sarcastic (loved the “Why Does Habeas Corpus Hate America?“), people should realize this: If something can be abused it will be. The founding fathers of the United States did NOT trust Government, which is why the codified the bill of rights. Even if the current president doesn’t abuse this (Wow, What Are the Odds?), it doesn’t mean others won’t. This is not a “partisan” issue, it’s potentially a Constitutional one.It used to be that you could depend on the Supreme Court to strike down laws like this one since it smacks in the face of the Constitution (i.e. Attempted murder of Habeas Corpus) but with this line up, who knows?
Music I’m listening to right Now:
“Crazy” by Seal from his “Seal” Album (1991). It seemed appropriate.
- NYC To Launch City Artist Corps With $25 Million To Support Local Artists
- 18 People Charged In Takedown Of Brooklyn Gang Accused Of Killing 1-Year-Old
- Want To Help India’s COVID Crisis? Donating To Small Organizations May Be Your Best Bet
- Coronavirus Statistics: Tracking The Epidemic In New York
- NYC Should Offer COVID Shots To Tourists At Popular Sites, De Blasio Says
- Stellar New "Slow Food" Thai Spot Joins The Vanderbilt Avenue Street Party
- With NYC Mayoral Race Upended, Some Progressives Respond With A "Unity Ticket"
- India's Covid Crisis Needs a New Lockdown
- Baltimore Vaccine Plant’s Troubles Ripple Across 3 Continents
- Florida Becomes the Latest State to Restrict Voting
- Three Months After Coup, Myanmar Returns to the ‘Bad Old Days’
- Nearly 1 Million People Signed Up for Obamacare This Spring
- The Epic Journey to ‘The Underground Railroad’
- The Pandemic Has Changed Their Shower Habits. How About Yours?