As other people have pointed out “The Military Commissions Act” passed by Congress is dangerous as it has no clear definition of what defines an “Enemy combatant”. Keith Olbermann does a fine job of explaining why this is such a badly written law and points out that it is whittling away at the Bill of Rights. He also does a great job of once again demonstrating what a complete hypocrite President George W. Bush is. This is such a “hot” issue, that he can’t schedule a time to sign it? Riiiiight… BTW, while Keith Olbermann is being sarcastic (loved the “Why Does Habeas Corpus Hate America?“), people should realize this: If something can be abused it will be. The founding fathers of the United States did NOT trust Government, which is why the codified the bill of rights. Even if the current president doesn’t abuse this (Wow, What Are the Odds?), it doesn’t mean others won’t. This is not a “partisan” issue, it’s potentially a Constitutional one.It used to be that you could depend on the Supreme Court to strike down laws like this one since it smacks in the face of the Constitution (i.e. Attempted murder of Habeas Corpus) but with this line up, who knows?
Music I’m listening to right Now:
“Crazy” by Seal from his “Seal” Album (1991). It seemed appropriate.
- NYC protests over death of Tyre Nichols continue
- Dozens protest police brutality in Newark
- SNAP 'food stamp' payments are about to get smaller. NJ lawmakers want to fund the difference.
- NYC meteorologists miss the snow as much as we do
- 'It keeps on happening': Protesters rally in NYC over Memphis killing of Tyre Nichols
- Adams to New Yorkers: Memphis police video will be ‘graphic and disturbing’ as he urges calm
- NYC, other cities prepare for protests when video of a fatal beating by Memphis police is released tonight
- Memphis Police Disband Unit Whose Officers Were Charged in Tyre Nichols’s Death
- How a Kansas City Football Superfan in a Wolf Costume Ended Up in a Cage
- Tyre Nichols and the Legacy of Police Abuse in Memphis
- Tom Verlaine, Influential Guitarist and Songwriter, Dies at 73
- Trump Tries a New Campaign Tack: Small-Scale
- Why Coaching From the Stands in Tennis Can Feel Like ‘Cheating’
- Tyre Nichols Beating Opens a Complex Conversation on Race and Policing