As other people have pointed out “The Military Commissions Act” passed by Congress is dangerous as it has no clear definition of what defines an “Enemy combatant”. Keith Olbermann does a fine job of explaining why this is such a badly written law and points out that it is whittling away at the Bill of Rights. He also does a great job of once again demonstrating what a complete hypocrite President George W. Bush is. This is such a “hot” issue, that he can’t schedule a time to sign it? Riiiiight… BTW, while Keith Olbermann is being sarcastic (loved the “Why Does Habeas Corpus Hate America?“), people should realize this: If something can be abused it will be. The founding fathers of the United States did NOT trust Government, which is why the codified the bill of rights. Even if the current president doesn’t abuse this (Wow, What Are the Odds?), it doesn’t mean others won’t. This is not a “partisan” issue, it’s potentially a Constitutional one.It used to be that you could depend on the Supreme Court to strike down laws like this one since it smacks in the face of the Constitution (i.e. Attempted murder of Habeas Corpus) but with this line up, who knows?
Music I’m listening to right Now:
“Crazy” by Seal from his “Seal” Album (1991). It seemed appropriate.
- Extra Extra: Now It's LeVar Burton's Turn To Guest Host "Jeopardy!"
- Calls Grow For More Enforcement Of Illegal Motor Bikes After Boy Critically Injured In Hit-And-Run
- Authorities No Longer Seizing Under Three Ounces Of Marijuana At New York Airports
- U.S. Justice Department Declines To Open Probe Into Cuomo's Handling Of COVID-19 In Nursing Homes
- "Redistricting Means Power": Everyday New Yorkers Get A Say In Carving Out Their District Lines
- Wildfire Haze From Out West Could Be Worse Than Many New Yorkers Realize
- Mayor Bill De Blasio And Other Top Officials Escape Judicial Inquiry Into Eric Garner’s Death
- A Common Heart Problem That’s Easy to Miss
- Broadcaster Apologizes for ‘Inappropriate’ Images Aired During Olympic Parade
- After Covid Diagnosis, a Conservative Radio Host Sends a New Message
- Nancy Mace Called Herself a ‘New Voice’ for the G.O.P. Then She Pivoted.
- The Most Influential Spreader of Coronavirus Misinformation Online
- Suddenly It’s Bare Season
- Liverpool Loses Its UNESCO World Heritage Status